Tuesday, September 05, 2017

Looks Like It's On ...

"Mandatory evacuation order" for the Florida Keys starting tomorrow morning. Irma has strengthened into a Category 5 storm. Its most likely predicted paths seem to be:


  1. Up the Atlantic Coast of Florida;
  2. Up the Gulf Coast of Florida; or
  3. Straight up the middle of Florida


Which, any way you cut it, probably means us (we're in north central Florida, about 50 miles from the Gulf Coast, 80 or so from the Atlantic, and it's going to be a big, wide storm). So we're stocking up on water and canned goods and food that doesn't have to be cooked in the expectation that we may spend a few days without electricity (I'm all for taking off on a quickie vacation to, say, Montana, but that doesn't really seem to be in the cards and I expect northbound I-75 to be clogged by tomorrow if it's not already).

Speaking of stocking up, I decided to do some of that via InstaCart. You order (from local stores), they deliver. The prices are a little higher than at the store, but I had a coupon for $50 off an order of $50 or more, plus free delivery, so it came out pretty nicely, and saved us part of the water toting (part of my order was five cases of 24 16.9-oz. bottles). By the time I post this, the delivery will have arrived (placed it around 4pm and scheduled delivery for between 8pm and 9pm), so if you see this it means I was happy with the service.* Yes, you guessed it, referral link time. The first five people I refer each get a $10 credit toward their first order, and I get a $10 credit toward my next order.

If I should suddenly disappear from Internet view this weekend, you'll know why -- expect me back when power is restored and so forth. If you're in this storm's path, or any other, or have been recently (yes, I'm talking to you readers in Texas), best wishes.



* I'm VERY happy with the service. The stores are already madhouses and the InstaCart lady said she had gone to four different stores to fill orders. She made some (good and proper) substitutions for items that were out of stock, and I got a refund for the five cases of bottled water I had ordered as there was none to be found. Gonna be out looking for some tomorrow (we've got SOME, but I want MORE).

No comments: