Wednesday, June 03, 2015

Watch the Birdie

I've created a new page for the blog, which you'll see in the links up top: The Warrant Canary.

No, I don't expect to be served with any warrants or "National Security Letters" demanding that I refrain from mention of being so served. My impression is that those mostly go to organizations with large user populations and control of the databases of information regarding those users' doings, and KN@PPSTER is just a blog.

But it took just a few minutes to set up, it will take a minute or so every 90 days to update, and it seems like the kind of thing that all and sundry, even us little guys, should be doing by way of making it impossible for the state's clever little NSL/gag order scheme to ever be workable.

It works like this: On the first of each month, I'll update the Canary page to reflect that I have NOT been served with any kind of gag-order-accompanied government paperwork. If I don't update it (and/or if I don't say "oops, sorry, I forgot, I'll get that done right now" when some alert reader asks me why I haven't updated it), it means that I HAVE been so served.

For more information on the idea, visit Canary Watch.

No comments: