Sunday, March 16, 2014

Happy Open Borders Day!

Hat Tip to Bryan Caplan for calling my attention to "an international holiday to raise awareness of the single most important policy issue of the modern world."

I haven't closely and carefully read the site dedicated to the proposition ... but it's certainly something I can drink to.

As a side note, though, I'm not sure I agree that it's "the single most important policy issue of the modern world."

The United States, at least, has always had open borders, has really only tried unsuccessfully to pretend otherwise -- at great cost, both economically and with respect to liberty -- for  the last 60 or 70 years, and will never change the situation (with 95,500 miles of border and coastline, "securing the US border" is impossible, even were that the only mission government attended to).

So here, at least, it's already "mission accomplished," and I suspect there are more important things to worry about.

No comments: