Wednesday, April 10, 2013

Idiot Pol Gives Anti-Family Bigots a Sword

[h/t Dondero]

I am pro-family and pro-marriage, which means that I oppose marriage apartheid. In fact, I don't think that the state should be in the business of defining or licensing marriage at all (I also don't think that the state should be allowed to exist, of course, which encompasses the forgoing, but anyhoo ...)

The state attorney general has filed a lawsuit in Benton County Superior Court against a Richland florist who refused to provide flowers for the wedding of longtime gay customers, citing her religious opposition to same-sex marriage. ... "Under the Consumer Protection Act, it is unlawful to discriminate against customers on the basis of sexual orientation," Attorney General Bob Ferguson said in a statement. "If a business provides a product or service to opposite-sex couples for their weddings, then it must provide same-sex couples the same product or service."

Naturally, anti-family/anti-marriage advocates are jumping on this, and I can't really blame them. It makes great propaganda for their anti-family/anti-marriage cause.

As for myself, for the record: If you don't support same-sex marriage, I believe you should be free to oppose it in any way you like except forcing other people to refrain from it or engaging in violence against those who support or engage in it.

If you run a church and don't want it to be used for same-sex weddings, that's your right.

If you run a business and don't want to sell goods or services to same-sex couples, that's your right.

And it's the right of those who don't like your religious beliefs or business practices to refrain from attending your church or patronizing your business, and to publicly mock you. But not to force you to refrain from superstition and bigotry.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

My family members eνery time say that I am wаѕting mу time here at ωeb, еxcept I knoω I am getting knowledge daily by reaԁing theѕ nісe articles.



Viѕіt my homерage - ϹliсκReаԁ :
: :
: