Sunday, April 03, 2011

[Japanese Fiscal] New Year Resolutions

I didn't really get with the resolutions around January 1, but now things are coming back together so I can.

Mainly, I want to un-backslide on two things.

Over the winter I first fell out of the exercise habit (I prefer biking and swimming, neither of which the weather was fit for), then fell off the electronic cigarettes and back onto "the real thing" (when I ran out of "juice" because I forgot to place an order, and just never got around to making that happen).

It's hard to even come up with language for how much better I felt when I was exercising and not smoking than I did before or do now. So, my resolutions are to get back with the exercise and get back off of tobacco and onto vapor.

I've already started the exercise. I biked several days in a row when it got warm two weeks ago, ceased when we had a brief cold snap, and started in again yesterday when a situation came up. Tamara ran out of gas about a mile-and-a-half down the road, and I biked a gas can to her and then back home. Three miles may not seem like much, but it was an up-and-down course and it wore me out and left me sore today. But I still went out and did an easy mile or so, just to start getting back into the habit of biking every day without fail.

In terms of goal-setting, I kind of have it in mind to bike the Katy Trail this summer. I haven't decided yet whether I want to try for the whole 225 miles, or perhaps bite off a shorter bit (65 miles and change from the St. Charles end of the trail to the Shrine of Our Lady of Sorrows near Rhineland, perhaps), or something in between (perhaps that 65 miles round-trip instead of one way).

On the smoking versus vaping, I'm going to order some juice tonight, and tonight or tomorrow clean my cartridges and get my batteries charged up. I'd like to be entirely off tobacco again by the end of the month at the latest.

No comments: