Wednesday, September 15, 2010

Guess God's Gonna Cut Me Down

[G]o and tell that midnight rider ...
You can run on for a long time
Run on for a long time
Run on for a long time
Sooner or later God'll cut you down

I guess it's more like "two in the morning rider."

Realized a little while ago that I hadn't been on the bike in the last 24 hours other than a short utility jaunt yesterday morning (hunting up one of the kids). I'm determined not to go a day without riding unless the weather makes it completely impossible, even if I just put in a couple of miles. I'm in much better shape than I was a month ago, and don't plan to slack off. I'm looking forward to weighing 165-175 pounds again, and most of that muscle.

No weather problem tonight. No traffic either; I saw a grand total of one moving car. Nice and cool, just enough light hitting the streets to let me avoid running into parked vehicles and so forth. I took a lazy ride around our little town: Gently uphill about half a mile on the main street, around a long side street loop (half downhill, half back up), back down the main drag a bit, a shorter loop terminating at the corner nearest the house.

I could get used to this night-riding thing for a lot of reasons -- more comfortable temperature, less traffic to worry about, a nice feeling of solitude -- but if so I guess I'll need to invest in some reflective clothing or something so I don't get run down like a dog by some random stranger in a hurry to get home from second shift at Taco Hell.

I haven't really started using the bike as "regular transportation" yet, other than "kid patrol" and one run to a nearby convenience store with Liam, just to say we did it. That's coming, though. Next time I have to be somewhere downtown or in the Central West End or whatever, I'll take it (the local buses have bike racks, and you can roll'em right onto and off of the trains).

Alrightythen ... the rules of the game dictate that if there are lyrics hanging on the wall at the beginning of the first act, a YouTube video must be fired by the end of the second. Enjoy:

No comments: