Monday, February 22, 2010

Superfrap Mobile/Micro/Live-Blogging Bleg

Update, 02/27/10: I've had to cancel the New Hampshire trip, and see no reason to ask my readers for help getting a device to liveblog a trip I won't be taking. Um ... as you were, as it were - TLK /end update

After looking at various cell phone and text messaging options, I'm right back to a device I mentioned awhile back: The TwitterPeek.

Before, I just liked it. Now I have a reason to bleg my readers for it. Here's the skinny:

I'll be attending at least two "away from keyboard" events this spring -- the Free State Project's 2010 Liberty Forum in March, and the Libertarian Party's national convention in May.

I expect both of these events to be things where I'll have little time to sit down in front of a desktop or laptop computer and make lengthy reports. What I will be able to do is text message or tweet about them, if I have a handy device for doing so. My cell phone does not meet the description of "handy" -- last time I tried that, I spent more time fumbling with the phone than getting the scoop to y'all.

I thought about getting a better phone, etc. -- and I still may -- but the $99.99 TwitterPeek comes with six months of service ($6.95/month after that). I'd like to have it. If I do, then I'll just use my phone to take/send pictures, not to actually do the blogging on.

I think I can give better mo/micro/live-blog that way. Not just at these two events, but for the foreseeable future. I may even attend events that I wouldn't otherwise have bothered with if I can effectively mo/micro/live-blog them.

If you think that sounds worth supporting, then check out my Kickstart Pledge Drive to raise the Ben Franklin for it in $10 per person increments. You only pay your pledge (you'll get instructions on that when the time comes) if ten people join to make the thing happen by March 1st. Otherwise, it just goes away.

Bonus rounds:

- For $199.99, I can get the thing with "forever" service -- no monthly fees, ever. If you're the magnanimous person who's willing to match the original $100 with $100 of your own to make that happen, email me.

- If you want to just get the thing (either version) for me directly and have me cancel the pledge drive, see my Amazon wish list in the right sidebar. Both versions are on it.

If I don't have the money to order the TwitterPeek by March 1st, I'll try to find some other way to mo/micro/live-blog these events ... but I don't think it will work as well. So, think it over.

No comments: