Tuesday, January 05, 2010

The temporary blogroll solution is ...

"What have you done for me lately?"

My old blogroll was huge -- so huge that I had to break it down into five separate categories and implement a script to collapse them, or the sidebar would have been like, eight miles tall, dude. Not that there's anything wrong with that. I tried to include every blog that I found interesting, any blog that linked here, anything I thought KN@PPSTER's readers might find useful.

Then came the transition to "new Blogger," and the script that drove that collapsible scheme didn't pass muster with Blogger's widget input apparatus.

I may bring the old massive blogroll back -- when and if I have time to validate all the links and punch them into a widget and find a way to make that widget display them collapsibly without bringing the Google XML Gawds down on my head.

For the moment, though, I'm going with eReferrer, a service that presents a list of inbound links, in order by just how many readers they're sending this way. A sort of meritocratic reciproll, if you will. While I don't necessarily value blogs solely on the basis of how much traffic they get or how much of that traffic they shift to me, it was the first workable stopgap that I came across.

No comments: