Friday, February 03, 2006

Kubby Update, 02/03/06

A perplexing development, and one I'd like to be able to give you the scoop on, but can't: Kubby has dropped his motion asking for the addition of marijuana to his jail diet.

The family's web site increases my curiosity: "There will be more here in a few days as Michele is working on a press release concerning the dropping of the Motion for Edibles."

The pre-trial hearing is set for February 15th. If I had to guess ... and that's really all I can do ... I'd guess that this sentence from the news account is the key to understanding the situation: "Prosecutors and Kubby's attorneys are reportedly trying to work out a plea agreement that will allow Kubby to serve his sentence at home."

So: If the agreement is "worked out," then Steve gets to go home ... but if he insists on getting his medicine between now and the 15th, it won't be "worked out" -- he'll sit in jail until trial and possibly jail or prison after that to boot. So it's try to hold out for 12 days, or make a motion that (which may be denied anyway) and then risk having to hold out for a lot longer. That's my take, anyway, and I've been in a situation not entirely unlike that with a prosecutor before (there's a reason why more than 90% of cases are plea-bargained, and it's not because the defendants are all guilty).

I could be wrong, but I doubt it. These people are bastards, and I look forward to the day when it's socially acceptable to collect their ears.

A couple of recent substantive posts on Kubby:

- Man Overboard on Kubby
- M.R. Jarrell on Kubby

--
Technorati Tags: , , , , , ,
IceRocket Tags: , , , , , ,

No comments: