Friday, July 01, 2005

FMNNClip: Getting out of Dodge

I still have reservations about the Libertarian Party's plan for getting the US out of Iraq, but I'm also still enthused about the fact that someone is finally offering a plan. Free Market News Network just published my expanded reaction. Excerpt:

-----
I have a few quibbles with the LP's proposal, but I can't stress one point enough: Nobody else is doing this. A solid majority of the American people now understand that the war was, and continues to be, a Very Bad Idea ... and only one political party is offering them a way to correct the mistake.

The Bush administration is spending political capital as fast as it can sign the rubber checks in order to keep its Iraq project going. The administration is beginning to lose the support of its own party as congresscritters facing re-election next year consider just which side of the fence they want to be on, but it's standing fast. Whether this resolve is due to inborn stubbornness, complete dissociation from reality or just a desire to keep the gravy train running for Halliburton and friends, I confess my inability to divine, but that's how it is.

The Democrats, on the other hand, are sitting atop the fence and trying to have it both ways: They want to savage the Bush administration for not having a realistic plan, while avoiding the risks that attend proposing any of their own. They're marking time, letting the GOP take the brunt of the backlash, and trying to figure out which side of the war issue will bring in the most votes in 2006 and 2008.

Let me say it again: Right now, the Libertarian Party is the only American political institution which can rightfully claim to represent the American people with respect to the war on Iraq.

Ladies and gentlemen, they're doing politics!
-----

Here's the whole thing.

Disclosure: If you look in the right column of this blog (for at least awhile after publication of this entry), you'll see a BlogAd flogging the LP's Exit Strategy. That is a paid ad, so feel free to draw your own conclusions as to my motives. In support of the idea that my conclusions were reached independently of venal considerations, I'll note that I addressed the subject in much the same way before the ad was placed. And the ad, by the way, was placed by an individual, not by the Libertarian Party.

-----
Technorati Tags: , , ,

No comments: